Monday, March 14, 2011

SMART Board


I can't take credit for the technology statement I made yesterday. I must give credit to Charlie Tighe, a music education from the Atlanta Metro area who did a SMART Board workshop for elementary music teachers during a SMART Board workshop. Boy was I jealous! I wish I had one of these in my classroom.

It's hard to do a SMART Board workshop with over 100 teachers with only one computer, projector and SMART Board. He preferred the SMART Board over its competitors because it doesn't require a special pen to use. Anything can be used to write on the SMART Board.


The presenter was able to sync his music files to the actual presentation. In one example, he placed an instrument picture with an MP3 sound file. He suggested that MP4 files are great for entire sings for recordings that you want to play independent of the visual. This change can be done by going to the Preferences Menu in iTunes.

He used the screens to reveal and show certain things. He grouped words chains created by students to be used to teach rhythm. I really like the interactive nature of the SMART Board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od452Bswyw0

The link above shows you how a music educators uses the SMART board to teach music fundamentals to elementary school children. Like Mr. Tighe, her initial presentation before a crowd didn't go as anticipated so she posted what she intended to do for them on YouTube.





Finally, always remember: "The SMART Board is to aid in making music, not to take the place of making music." -C. Tighe

No comments:

Post a Comment